Laurence Lewis at dKos nails it:
Liberalism was rejected, but not by the voters. Some voters may have been fooled into thinking they were rejecting liberalism, but did the Democrats even attempt a truly liberal agenda?
- Did the Democrats pass a stimulus package as large as liberal economists Paul Krugman, Joseph Stiglitz and Nouriel Roubini said we needed?
- Did the Democrats pass Cramdown or a WPA-style jobs program?
- Did the Democrats even put a single payer health care plan on the table? Did they fight for a public option?
- Did the Democrats reject the generals’ request to further escalate the war in Afghanistan?
- Did the Democrats shut down Gitmo, secret renditions, or domestic spying?
- Did the Democrats end Don’t Ask Don’t Tell or the Defense Of Marriage Act?
- Did the Democrats even begin to address immigration reform?
- Did the Democrats pass Cap-and-Trade or respond to the BP oil disaster by ending deepwater drilling?
The list could go on and on.
Ignore the pundits and remember the battles over the issues, including the battles that never happened. The voters didn’t reject a liberal agenda because they didn’t see a liberal agenda. Many wouldn’t know what a liberal agenda looks like, because no one has bothered to show them one.